God’s Gonna Cut You Down || A southern gothic mix
The Lord’s gonna come for your first born son
His hair’s on fire and his heart is burning
So go to the river where the water runs
Wash him deep where the tides are turning
This isn’t no land of comfort. The earth is tired, and she heaves her rattling breaths through the dry grass. Dust hangs like a shroud on your shoulders and settles on the scuff of your shoes. Here, there’s religion in the cracked pages of Scripture and in the rim of a whiskey bottle. Our father who art in Heaven, He’s got a harsh heart. There’s bad blood in the bible; sins are not forgiven here, they are only absolved once the dues are paid. Here, grizzled men exhale their souls in cigarette smoke as they idle on the porch. Their venom is inside of slow smiles, as smooth as molasses. Here, women are sunken-eyed; they’ve got cleavers tied to their apron strings, vengeful and weary, faces hewn out of scrap iron. Nothing really lives here. The hoot owl whistles in the old cemeteries by dusk, but the real burial grounds are elsewhere- men find their graves at the bottom of the river, at the deepest hour of night. May they rest in sin indeed.
Don’t you lift him, let him drown alive
The good Lord speaks like a rolling thunder
Let that fever make the water rise
And let the river run dry
- Blood On My Name- The Wright Brothers
- Grounds For Divorce- Elbow
- David- Noah Gundersen
- Maneater- Blue-Eyed Blondes
- Bottom Of The River- Delta Rae
- Bartholomew- The Silent Comedy
- Nothing But The Water, Pt. 1- Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
- Rolling In On A Burning Tire- The Dead Weather
- 99 Problems (Jay-Z Cover)- Hugo
- Beat The Devil’s Tattoo- Black Rebel Motorcyle Club
- God’s Gonna Cut You Down- Johnny Cash
- Raise Hell- Brandi Carlisle
- Chop and Change- The Black Keys
- Awake O Sleeper- The Brothers Bright
"Let no man bring me harm, I bear the marks of Jesus."
old photographs/home videos.
a) have fun. b) be intelligent. c) work hard.